Treating PTSD with Dr Leah Giarratano
11-12 May 2017: Brisbane CBD
With Dr Leah Giarratano B.A. (Hons.), M.Psych., D.Psych.
Treating posttraumatic stress disorder with Dr Leah Giarratano
11-12 May 2017: Brisbane CBD
The venue will not be publicised to discourage on-the-day registration. Attendees will be notified venue details upon registration.
8:30am to 4:30pm
Registrations are not accepted after 8/5/17
This program is intended for all mental health professionals. Counsellors, occupational therapists, medical professionals, mental health nurses, psychologists and social workers are all welcome to attend.
Attending this event earns:
14 CPD hours for members of the Australian Association of Social Workers (expires 31/12/17)
14 CPE hours for members of the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses (expires 11/11/17)
28 OPD points for members of the Australian Counselling Association (expires 5/12/17)
14 CPD hours for Psychologists and Occupational Therapists. This workshop is designed to meet the CPD requirements for Medicare Focused Psychological Strategy (FPS) providers and the Psychology Board of Australia (PBA) requirements for an Active CPD event. If you are a member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS), your CPD activities no longer need to be endorsed by the APS; you can accrue CPD hours by participating in activities that you believe are relevant to your annual learning plan or goals.
Registration fee and payment is in Australian Dollars
$780 including $70.90 GST
Save $90 per person when you register with a colleague (at the same time) and each pay by electronic funds transfer by 28/4/17. Please email us first with your invoicing details, mobile number and dietary requests to arrange this discount.
This two-day training presents a highly practical and interactive workshop (case-based) for treating traumatised patients; the content is applicable to both adult and adolescent populations. Techniques are largely cognitive behavioural; they are best-practice, evidence-based, and will be immediately useful and effective for your clinical practice. The program includes handouts and numerous case examples. The emphasis is upon imparting practical skills and up-to-date research in this area.
Day one topics include:
• Treatment maps and planning strategies
• Psychoeducation and motivation tips
• Analysing and targeting dysfunctional behaviours (e.g., substance abuse, self-harm)
• Arousal reduction strategies (including breathing retraining, grounding and distraction tasks)
• An introduction to anger management
• Self-care for clinicians
Day Two topics include:
• Invivo exposure therapy (reducing avoidance behaviours)
• The fundamentals of exposure therapy for traumatic memories (prolonged imaginal exposure
• Cognitive challenging of negative self-statements related to the traumatic event
• Contraindications and complex case issues
About the program author/presenter
Leah Giarratano is a doctoral level clinical psychologist who specialises in the assessment and treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). She has been presenting training programs in Australia since 1996 and in New Zealand since 2000. Leah is the author of six books covering the assessment and treatment of psychological trauma and in the application of CBT.
What past participants have said about this program
Fantastic workshop. The program was well structured. Leah provided a thorough understanding of the material and this was supported by research and case studies
Learning how to do prolonged exposure therapy properly was what I wanted from this program and I feel confident to begin using this now.
Leah- without a doubt this has been one of the most relevant and useful PD activities I have done. Thank you for sharing your expertise, knowledgebase and practise material. I will be recommending this course and resources to my colleagues
This was an outstanding workshop! The blend of clinical experience, with research knowledge was fantastic. Very practical – will draw on these concepts/tools often and highly recommend this workshop to others.
Extremely informative, useful, interactive and engaging, and beautifully presented. Ten out of ten. Recommend thoroughly.
• Please diarise these dates on this page and ensure you have no other dates booked as this date replaces any previously advertised date in newsletters that may have changed since they were published. Please don't overlook this simple step as we cannot help you if you make travel arrangements using dates that are different to the dates indicated on this page
• The content of this page, in relation to this particular workshop is always current and replaces all other published information about this workshop. Please do not rely on information published elsewhere as it may be incorrect
• If you have reserved your place and have not paid by the due date on your invoice, your reservation will expire and you will not have a position at the workshop
• If your employer is making payment and you expect delays, we suggest you make payment yourself and request reimbursement from your employer when we have issued your receipt
• To qualify for the early bird registration, your payment must be received by the specified date, that is, payment, not just registration, must be received by the early-bird cut-off date. Sorry, there are no exceptions for late payment arrivals
• We accept registration by email, text or at our website. A tax invoice will be issued via e-mail upon registration
• Please register at this website. Payment can be made via electronic funds transfer (EFT), Visa card and Master card only. Creditcard payment is preferred. Payment by cheque was phased out in January 2015
• In the three weeks leading up to the program, only Visa Card and Master Card payments will be accepted
• Registration fee includes tea and coffee on arrival, morning and afternoon tea and lunch. Program notes are also included
• A record of attendance will be e-mailed to all participants in the days following the program. Our record of attendance includes: the name and qualifications of the presenter; an overview of workshop contents; and the names of all those present at the workshop. We do not provide an individual certificate of attendance because they can be self created. Our record of attendance is your proof of attendance for your professional development log.
• Please direct general enquiries to Joshua George using the contact form on this website
• If you require accommodation, visit a travel site such as Expedia or Webjet to find and book a hotel room in the CBD
Cancellation & Transfer Policy
• A cancellation or transfer must be finalised in writing at least seven days prior to the training date otherwise your options will be reduced to the final two points below
• If you cancel or transfer your registration seven days or more prior to the training date, it will attract a $55 processing fee
• You cannot transfer from a lower priced workshop to obtain a cheaper price in a higher priced workshop. You will be required to pay the price difference in this case
• When you transfer to another workshop, you can attend any of our workshops offered within one year of your transfer. We cannot refund any part of your fee once the transfer has been made
• If you are unable to attend the workshop for any reason, your position is transferable to someone holding a copy of your tax invoice upon registration
• If you do not attend the workshop for any reason, we cannot refund any part of your fee.
|Note: these currency conversions are a guide only.
All orders are in Australian Dollars.
Register for training now
Click here for a printable version of this page.